So unless you have been living under a rock lately you’ve probably noticed all the hype surrounding the release of Fifty Shades of Grey. Whether you loved the books and film or hated them, there’s one thing that we can all agree on and it’s that bondage and BDSM are now more talked about than ever before.
Fifty Shades of Grey inspired by bondage and BDSM
BDSM as a practice has been around for a very long time with reference to “ritual flagellations” (aka public spanking!) in the 9th Century BC. Early BDSM practices are mentioned in the Karma Sutra too, it talks about slapping, pinching or biting inciting “joyful cries of pain”. Oh my! So for those of you keen to give Bondage and BDSM a go we’ve put together a list of our top tips to keep you safe and sexy!
1. Chat it through with your partner and set some ground rules, we’re not suggesting any Christian Grey style legal agreements – just a chat through likes, dislikes, things you think you’d be into and things you’re definitely not.
2. Pick a safe word to signal if you don’t like what’s going on.
3. Be sober. Yeah, drinking a little might make you feel errmm… more free… but we recommend you and your partner both being sober so you are totally comfortable and safe with what you’re doing. Plus no one likes a sloppy rendezvous.
4. If you’re experimenting with hand cuffs or being tied up make sure you have a spare set of keys or some scissors nearby – those knots can be tricky to undo!
5. Be safe, particularly if you are tying your partner up if their ankles or wrists are tied too tightly this can restrict circulation or damage nerves – ouch!
Now we’ve got the serious part over we can get started on the fun bit… our pick of the must haves for beginner bondage.
Sportsheets Beginner’s Bondage Kit: No surprises here! This kit contains a soft blindfold, two ankle cuffs, two wrist cuffs and connecting straps. Lined with faux fur and with quick release Velcro fastening this kit is less intimidating – perfect for beginners!
Endless Shades of Great Sex: This great guidebook will help you to explore bondage as a way for couples to play. It includes 19 scenarios to re-enact with your partner – perfect for a little beginner’s exploration!
Bound to Tease Suede Flogger:
We've collected some of our favourite articles, products and images here on our Fifty Shades of Grey Pinterest Board >>